Hello! In todays tutorial I will be showing you how to dye pieces of clothing/fabric using hand wash dylon dye. I chose to dye a light pink top which had got ruined in the wash (had dark pink patches) and also a recycled bag as I love using them! These instructions are on the back of the packet aswell.
You will need:
- Any coloured Dylon
- Bowl/ Bucket
- Something to use for mixing e.g. stick/old paintbrush
The dye I used was a Burlesque Red as I loved the colour!
Heres an image of the transformation:
Let’s get started!!
1. Wash your chosen garments and leave them damp to one side.
2. Place your gloves on and dissolve the dye into 500ml of warm water ( I did this in a seperate jug).
The dye turned into some lovely colours mixed with the water.
3. Now fill ypur bowl/bucket with 6 litres of warm water (My jug went up to 1000ml so I added water 6 times).
4. To your bowl/bucket add in 250g of salt or 5 tablespoons. Pour the dyed mixture to the bowl/bucket and stir. Place your clothes/garment into the bowl/bucket and stir for 15 mins (I used an old paintbrush).
5. After you have stirred for 15 mins, regularly stir for up to 45 mins, I stirred every 10 mins and set a timer so I would’nt forget.
6. Once the 45 mins are up, rinse the fabric in cold water and wash in warm water. Let the garments dry away from sunlight (I layed them out onto plastic bags on my bedroom floor!).
Now your dyed garments are completed! A close-up:
Total Cost: Only £3.95 as I only purchased the dye because the rest of the equipment I found around the house!
Such a fantastic tutorial from gotthread! Let’s hope we’re all as successful in our dying!